Non Contact Volumetric Scanner
Why Volumetric Scanning?
Volume measurement of material during haulage is the missing piece of the puzzle for material movement management. Machines (haul trucks and trains) carry weight (tonnes), they are designed and engineered to move a certain amount of weight, they all have maximum payload information specified by weight. Material is moved by volume, that is, we wish to move X cubic metres from here to there. So, how many machine loads (tonnes) will it take to move this pile of material (m³), the answer is defined by material density, which can be captured with a 3D Volumetric Scanner It allows for quick measurement and quantification of;
- Load Volume (m³)
- Material Density (when combined with weight data)
- Verification of Fill Factor for Haul Truck Bodies
- Management of load positioning
- Mine Production Studies
How does a haul truck volume scanner work
Reliable Software Solutions have developed a "drive-through" non-contact scanning solution for trains and mining haul trucks.
Two high speed LIDAR sensors are placed above the the load to be measured. They capture distance information from the surrounding environment and are highly immune to dust and contaminants in the air.
Using custom developed software, sophisticated algorithms built into the software use captured point data to generate volume information for the load being scanned. Essentially developing a surface profile of the load being scanned.
Through continuous refinement the industrial software which runs on a Microsoft™ Windows platform, developed into a robust solution for fast calculation and transportation of real time feedback and key metrics, to optimise loading operations.
Voumetric Scanner System Features
The RSS Volume Scanning software provides near real-time outputs to an industrial network or local database. It features;
- A responsive design using multithreaded technology.
- Calculation of production critical parmeters in less than 10 seconds.
- Easy Installation and Configuration
- MODBUS TCP interface to provide an industry standard delivery mechanism, allowing integration with existing PLC systems.
- Volume per scan (m³)
- Laser Status flag for remote maintenance monitoring (Error, Contamination, OK)
- Data Valid flag (valid / not valid)
- Material Angle of Repose